Thoughts, stories, and the hilarity involved in dating

Thoughts, stories, and the hilarity involved in dating

Most hilarious of all is that most of the stories come from the online dating sphere which adds a certain unexpected element...

Monday, July 12, 2010

How the Family factors into the equation

So, we all have family issues of one sort or another.  We love our families; we hate our families, but regardless, they are ours and we are stuck with them.  Fortunately, for me, my family is all and all pretty great.  We all like to have to a good time, we vacation together, we drink together. We tend to drink a lot together.  This is not to say all we do is drink...we talk a lot too.  They tend to go very well together at least I think.


What happens when a potential partners' family is a bunch of teetotallers?  In a similar vein as in my post, I Don't Drink - The Water Guy, I feel a little funny about dating someone whose family doesn't drink even when they drink.  I have never had the experience of dating someone seriously whom didn't drink or whose family didn't imbibe.  How do you break the ice at the first meeting if you can't have cocktails?  I am capable of carrying on conversation without booze, but if socializing is involved, I prefer for there to be drinks.


On some level, I think it is absurd to actually question wanting to get serious with someone just because their family doesn't drink, but I do.  I can't imagine spending holidays with a family sober.  What's the fun in that?  Also, the judging factor.  Most people that don't generally drink tend to be very religious and tend to think that those that do drink are less than, bad, from the devil, etc.   While I'm not anti-religious, organized religion is not particularly for me especially due to the judging nature characteristic of some religions.  


Spending a large portion of my life (this is obviously looking very far into the future) being judged because I drink and not being able to imbibe when with said future family is very unappealing.  A little less into the future, I think about wedding festivities: one side wasted; the other side sober watching and judging.  Not to mention, what if the sober side requested a dry wedding???  Ahhh--that's my own personal version of hell as well as my family's.  


Question--is it possible to date someone with a teetotalling family, remain sane, and have everyone get along?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!