Thoughts, stories, and the hilarity involved in dating

Thoughts, stories, and the hilarity involved in dating

Most hilarious of all is that most of the stories come from the online dating sphere which adds a certain unexpected element...

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Anti-Date

I went out with a published author who wrote about manufacturing and China.  Considering that my passion has always been China, I thought, again (are you noticing that I really try to pick people with commonalities) this should at least be an interesting date and we'll have plenty to talk about.  I arrive at the tavern first and he comes in shortly after.  


We sit at the bar and order drinks.  Start chatting about his experience and his book.  Pretty interesting so far but then he starts to try and tap me for ideas about his second book.  By this time, I can tell his ego is a little too big.  Then, in mid-conversation, he starts chatting with other girls in the bar.  I'm a pretty friendly person and chatting it up with others especially while sitting at a bar is totally great...not however when I'm in mid-sentence.  And, he walks away to continue the conversation.  So, I start talking with the people around me and then, I see someone I know and haven't seen in forever, Phil.  Phil and I were friends from high school and strictly friends.  Haven't seen him in about 10 years and there's lots to chat about.  We're in mid-conversation when Mr. Author re-appears after having disappeared for 30 minutes.  


He looks put out like I've been ignoring him (hello, he walked away while I was mid-sentence).  I introduce the 2 of them and I try to include him in the conversation.  He walks away again--now ignoring me and my friend.  At this point, I tell Phil he's been one rude asshole and Phil suggests we go into the inside bar.  I find Mr. Author and tell him I'm heading inside.  He sort of shrugs and continues his diatribe to his new lady friends.  I chalk it up to another bad date and continue hanging out with Phil.  Later on, he comes inside to tell me he's heading out and again looks upset/pissed that I've been ignoring him.  Who does this guy think he is--you can ignore me but your ego gets bruised when the same happens to you?  Big Fat Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!