Thoughts, stories, and the hilarity involved in dating

Thoughts, stories, and the hilarity involved in dating

Most hilarious of all is that most of the stories come from the online dating sphere which adds a certain unexpected element...

Thursday, September 30, 2010

When Business Gets Personal

I've fallen off the grid for a couple of weeks.  I've been super busy with work and was at a trade show in DC showcasing real estate in the South for most of last week and all of last weekend.  I was at the trade show with my Dad, so obviously not much dating was going on.  Assuming we get sales from the trade show, it was a successful trip.  I met some interesting people particularly a group that was selling mountain homes in NC.  About 8 of us ended up going to dinner on Saturday night--6 men and 2 women including myself and my dad.  


One of the men was about 350 lbs. and took an interest in me.  About half way through dinner, he said he'd like to chat with me for a moment...not sure why I said yes but I did.  We went to the bar and he then stated we were going to take a shot.  I don't take shots--I usually end up throwing up on the bar.  Not sure why this is and it has nothing to do with the amount of booze I've consumed.  If I've had 1 drink, I throw up; if I've had 15 drinks, I throw up.  I mention to him I don't do shots but thanks.  He continues to press and keeps asking what I want to which I reply nothing.  He gets the bartender to make something and then hands it to me...I take 1 sip and put the rest back.  It tastes like sweet cough syrup--YUCK!  He's also surprised when I don't take it and I state again like I said before, I don't do them.  We walk back to the table and continue dinner.  


The show the next day was particularly slow so I ended up chatting with another guy that was at dinner the previous night.  He was nice, 45, and just getting through a divorce which his boss was quick to point out.  He said he had a lead for me and would call later in the week to give me the details.  So he called yesterday and gave me the lead.  He then said, "I have another unrelated question." Ok...and then he asks me to dinner and says he'll drive down from Lenoir which is about an hour north of where I live in Charlotte.  I say yes as a gut reaction in not wanting  hurt someone's feeling.  This is the problem--he's got all white hair all over.  He is definitely not a young looking 45, but he is funny.  I also don't want to disturb the working relationship we have developed with this group.  


So, I tell my brother about this development and his reaction is exactly what I was expecting: you got to take one for the team and go on this date aka we might be able to get some sales from this.  This probably sounds a little harsh and a little ridiculous.  I sometimes wonder if I'm living way back in the day when families used their daughters to develop alliances and gain wealth.  Even more ridiculous is that I, even though I am from the 21st century, a) believe in taking one for the team b) am willing to do it.  It's almost unnatural the loyalty I feel to my family.  My dad's line when it comes to discussing my future marriage is "I have to see his financial statements first."  Guess, we'll see how it goes....

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking the exact same thing as your brother...only instead of taking it for the team because of sales I was thinking because of the blog (and us :P)...so go get that salt and...pep...er...salt...hottie and then come back and spill all the hilarious deets :P and who knows...there is always that possibility it might be good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!