Thoughts, stories, and the hilarity involved in dating

Thoughts, stories, and the hilarity involved in dating

Most hilarious of all is that most of the stories come from the online dating sphere which adds a certain unexpected element...

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Whole Bunch of Women and a Nap

Consistently finding yourself in rooms full of women is probably not the best way to try and meet a man.  However, this is the situation I've been finding myself in a lot lately.  Between the Junior League, the Symphony Guild, and a Women's Retreat with my mom, I have been surrounded by large groups of women.  This is not to say that I don't enjoy spending girl time.  It's just it's been a bit much lately.  I'm more in need of the one on one type of connection or the let's get crazy and flirt some.  Fortunately, thanks to my WONDERFUL girlfriends, I will be experiencing both this coming weekend.  


Ironically, I joined the Junior League and Symphony Guild to expand my social circle and half-assed hoped I'd meet some new men.  However, men do not hang out in these type situations (Duh, I know).  I did think that with friends of friends, family members, whatever that it might be possible.  Most everyone, however, is already married and doesn't know any singles.  And I am NOT into breaking up marriages.  As pointed out by a younger friend of mine, even if your friends know people and even suggest that you should date them, it normally doesn't work out.  Why--usually an introduction isn't made.  This is NOT something I've experienced personally.


As for my dating life, I had 2 dates last week.  The first seemed full of potential.  We had a great phone conversation (I didn't want to get off the phone after an hour--this is unheard of), he loved sports, worked in sports, similar backgrounds.  He was fun to talk to--what a novel idea!  Then we met.  I know I probably sound like I'm starting to whine and/or my "list of requirements" is unreasonable and/or I'm just too picky. Whatever--his teeth were BUSTED.  I couldn't stop staring at them.  Plus, he clucked when he talked.  That did not occur on the phone, FYI.  So even though I was interested in what he was saying, I couldn't concentrate because of the shit going on in his mouth.  Plus, it's the 21st century; there is no excuse for bad teeth.  NEXT!


The second was similar in terms of we'd talked on the phone and it went really well.  The date went really well too despite some of my own shortcomings....I've been swamped at work.  I'm trying to figure out 5 years of inventory crap and I'm NOT an accountant.  I'm swimming in spreadsheets and trying to compare figures all day every day.  Fine, work sucks.  Last Thursday, I come home from work around 530pm.  I sit down on the couch and next thing I know I wake up at 640pm.  I'm supposed to be at the restaurant at 7pm and it takes 15-20 minutes to get there.  I haven't re-applied makeup, changed, nothing, plus I'm feeling confused as I just woke up and it takes me 5 minutes to realize where I have to be.  I text him and say I'm running late--won't be there til 715pm.  He says fine, no problem.  I manage to pull myself together, look reasonably cute, and arrive at 710pm.  Yes, I am awesome and no, I didn't get a speeding ticket.  But when I arrive, I am discombobulated, numbers are still swimming in my head, and start babbling about work.  He is getting his Master's in Accounting, however, so he was interested in my non-sense about inventory.  Overall, the date went really well once I got it together and had a glass of wine.


At the end, he asked twice if I'd like for him to call again.  I said yes definitely.  Here's hoping there's a 2nd date with this one.  But after my lackluster initial performance, who knows?


Have another date Wednesday night....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!